Seven Tips for Using Paleo or Zone to Enhance your Performance***
1. Men and women utilize carbohydrate differently. Women are, in general, better at burning fat than men around workouts so they need fewer carbohydrates in their nutrition plans.
2. Ketogenic/low carb diets can cause fast weight loss but they are rarely ideal for optimal performance (and long term fat loss).
3. While it may not be extremely common, some women suffer some unfortunate side effects when they get really lean and/or deprive their bodies of carbohydrates. For this reason, it’s better to adopt a less restrictive approach to carbs.
4. Women should strive to hit their protein goals first (1 grams per pound of body weight), and then focus on carbs and fat; in general, we suggest using 75g-100g of fats in the ETP calculator and solve for carbs to give you some idea of the ballpark you are on in for training days.
5. Rest days can be modified to include more fat and less carbs; 75-100g may be appropriate.
6. As with most things, experimenting with more or less carbs will help you arrive at a balance that works for you and allows you to look and perform the way you want to. Also before or after workouts is another big one (excluding AM workouts where you eat your carbs the night before).
7. You don’t need to eat pizza and turnovers for carb sources; go for starches like potatoes and rice, and be sure to include some vegetables. Coconut milk smoothies are also a great option.
If you struggle meeting your protein requirements daily I would suggest Progenex products. Using this banner will get you 10% off.
1) 15 minutes to establish a 1RM 2 Position Hang Snatch (low hang-2″ from floor- to the hang at the top of the knees).
2) 3X1 2 Position Hang Snatch @ 90% of 1RM from #1 – rest 90 sec.
5 rounds of 10 S2OH, 10 ball slams (35/25).
-rest 1 min-
5 rounds of 5 hang power snatch, 20 double unders
RX: 95/65 L3: 65/55 L2: 45/35 L1: 35/15 RxC: 115/75
The social WOD committee is turning 1 in September and it’s time to celebrate with a few new committee members. If you are interested in joining shoot us an email at [email protected] and you will be on the list for potential social WOD committee members. For obvious reason we cannot accept everyone but don’t be discouraged, for larger events like throw downs and holiday parties we can always use the help.
The committee requires the following commitment:
Attend meetings every other month
You will be in charge of organizing and leading events
You must attend the majority of events
You will be responsible for helping to promote events at the gym
Unfortunately all of you guys don’t know Jeff S, he was an original member at BCF and he is currently in BUD/S on his way to be a Navy SEAL. He trained for 8 weeks in Illinois before heading to California for 3 weeks of indoc where he lost a quarter of his class. He has made it to week 3 which is Hell Week. All of his buddies have either quit or have been rolled back and only about 1/3rd of his original class remains. Say a prayer that he stays healthy and keep him in your thoughts this week.
Up for new Reebok Nanos? Want some swag? We will be making a large order. New catalog in my office. I will get it in PDF soon. Shirts, shoes, accessories etc. all at a way better price through BCF.
We will be adding new members in August in preparation for the upcoming fall events.
Interested in mastering ring dips and pullups? Check out Tyler’s progression program:
Pull ups: http://tylersullivan.net/2013/07/pull-up-progression-template-for-crossfit/
***Do you have UnitedHealthCare for your health insurance? If so, you may be entitled to fitness center reimbursement. BCF is a registered facility and you could get back $20 every month per person from UHC for attending > 12 times a month! http://www.gym.unitedhealthallies.com/
CrossFit Kids is coming soon, after or nearly after expansion is done! If you are interested, please contact Tyler with your child’s name and age!
Our Sunday morning Bradford Beach WODs and Hooverball are coming soon!! Stay updated on the calendar and Facebook!
Our L2 classes will be starting up soon (we will be changing the name to Advanced CrossFit). We plan to have a test out day every month for which you test out to enter this class. It’s an advanced class for advanced athletes looking to take their fitness to another level, either as a competitor in the Sport of CrossFit, or just to be better in general. The guidelines are here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7HSJg7IcSg0MzZiT0hScjdJUnM/edit?usp=sharing
Original Paleo Kits and Beef Jerky are back in stock! Also, be sure to try the RX bars coffee flavor!
Want “Voodoo” bands but hate the price? After all, it’s just rubber! I’d go with the black or orange ones here: http://smrtools.networkfitness.com/compression-straps/
If no one RSVPs to open gyms, they will be canceled! So be sure to RSVP if you are planning on stopping in.
If you leave a pool of sweat, there is a mop and bucket. Use it. It’s not only for coaches.
Final note, when you touch it, you must clean it. If you use it, put it away (cups, tape, boxes, rings, etc). The more that the coaches have to clean up, the more it takes away from coaching.
Summer = heat = humidity = sweat = more to clean. Please keep YOUR gym the cleanest gym around.