Sunday is typically a day where we rest. There are no group CrossFit classes going on at BCF, which is by design. There is something to be said about doing absolutely nothing sometimes. But the body, when it’s in prime, active condition, can actually benefit from a restorative active rest day. Our new Rowing Club offering falls in line with what we want to accomplish on these “rest” days.
Here is a great list of things to do from CrossFit Invictus on things you can do on your “rest” day, that I think is very beneficial. See you all in the gym tomorrow!
25-40 minutes of one of the following performed at 60-70% effort – easy, restorative pace:
* Swim (this is my first choice, and if you have an ocean, even better)
* Row (focus on mechanics, smooth and efficient with a very low stroke per minute pace)
* AirDyne (keep the pace conversational and relaxed)
* Cycling (get outdoors and enjoy the scenery as you ride)
* Hike (nothing crazy here, find a nice easy slope and go for a walk outdoors)
NOTE ABOUT ACTIVE RECOVERY – The activity selected must be restorative for you. It can also be an opportunity to work on a skill (like swimming or rowing), but the effort expended should leave you feeling energized at the end of the session, not depleted. I would also always prefer to see active recovery done as soon after rising as possible on the active recovery days. It’s an opportunity to start some blood flowing and aid your recovery.
Mobility and Maintenance
* Choose 1-2 Thoracic Mobility Drills from Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD and spend 5-10 minutes with them.
* Choose 2-3 Lower Body Mobility Drills from Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD and spend 10-12 minutes with them.
* Choose 1-2 Upper Extremity Mobility Drills from Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD and spend 5-10 minutes with them.
– AND/OR –
* Body work from a licensed body worker (ART, Graston, acupuncture, etc…)
* This could be a lot of things, but think in terms of compression, contrast baths, salt baths, castor oil packs, etc….
* Ensure that you have quality foods prepared in the appropriate quantities to fuel your efforts for the remainder of the week.
* Different for everyone – could be meditation or could be gathering with friends; the key is to engage in activities that make your life full and help you recharge your batteries.